Middle East Eye: Family of Palestinian mangled by bulldozer condemn Israel
Belal al-Naem was appalled when he saw the footage: an Israeli bulldozer dragging, mutilating and dangling a Palestinian’s corpse in the besieged Gaza Strip. Then he found out it was his brother’s body.
“I lived the shock twice, first before I knew that he is my brother, and the other when I knew that was him,” he told Middle East Eye.
Belal’s brother, Mohammed, was shot and killed by Israeli fire on Sunday [Feb. 23] in Abasan al-Kabira, east of Khan Younis.
The Israeli military claimed he and another Palestinian were attempting to place an explosive device on the frontier between the besieged enclave and Israel.
Then a military bulldozer, accompanied by a tank, moved in to retrieve the body, and its attempts were caught on camera. [See for yourself here]
Moataz al-Najar, 23, was the first to spot Mohammed’s lifeless body, at 6 a.m. “He was dead and his face was burned, his intestines were spilling out of his body. Me and my cousin Ahmed tried to drag him away but the bulldozer assaulted us,” he recalled.
Dr. Alice Roth in Mondoweiss: “Meanwhile, throughout Gaza…
“the health system is on the verge of collapse. Unemployment has reached nearly 50 percent, the per-person ratio of doctors and nurses has dropped, more than two-thirds of households are food insecure, and just three percent of Gaza’s aquifer water is safe to drink, according to official statistics and aid agencies.
“…Water is contaminated by sewage, salinization, bacteria, and military contamination. In Gaza this is especially acute for the victims of sniper fire.
“…Medicines, medical supplies and equipment are in short supply. Many of the thousands of people who have been injured by gunshot wounds (while exercising free speech) are at risk of losing limbs, “because the surgeons, medications and supplies needed to prevent amputations are unavailable.”
If Americans Knew: Washington Post’s ‘relative quiet’ ignores Israeli violence against Palestinians
On February 24th, the Washington Post reported that a “flare up” of violence in Israel-Palestine “followed weeks of relative quiet.” …The following is a partial list of Israeli actions against Palestinians during the previous three and a half weeks:
- Israeli soldiers shot and killed 4 Palestinian civilians, including a 19-year-old shot in the neck, a 17-year-old shot in the head, and a 24-year-old policeman shot in the stomach.
- Israeli soldiers shot an additional 100 Palestinians, including 15 minors, 3 fishermen, 3 journalists, and a photographer working for an Israeli human rights organization. One of the injured minors was a 9-year-old whose eye was shot out.
- Israeli forces conducted 418 military raidsinto the West Bank, including occupied East Jerusalem.
- Israeli forces abducted 190 Palestinian civilians, including 52 teens and children and 4 women.
- Israeli forces perpetrated 15 shootings against Palestinian farmers and farm structures.
- Israeli forces perpetrated 7 shootings against Palestinian fishing boats.
- Israel demolished 8 Palestinian homes.
- Israeli forces escorted thousands of Israeli settlers while they stormed two Palestinian villages.
- Israeli forces perpetrated several airstrikes on the Gaza Strip.
- A fifteen-year-old Palestinian boy, who had been shot earlier by Israeli forces, died.